CATHEDRAL OF GRANADA
The Cathedral of Granada is considered as the first Renaissance church of Spain and as one of the best examples of this movement.
The Catholic Monarchs were the founders in 1492, and it was at first meant to copy the Gothic model of the Cathedral in Toledo.
In 1518, Diego de Siloé was entrusted with the project, and designed a new ground plan of the temple in the Spanish Renaissance style. Nearly two hundred years later, in 1704, the work was finished. Only one of the two towers of Siloé was built, and work was terminated after 57 metres instead of the original 81 metres. The main façade is a masterpiece of Baroque art by Alonso Cano in 1667.
- Phone: +34 958 222 959
- WebPage: www.catedraldegranada.com
The Catholic Monarchs, who saw Granada as a symbol of unity of Spain and the Christian kingdom, ordered it to be built as their final resting place.
It was built in Gothic-style from 1506 and was dedicated to the Saints John the Baptist and St John of the Gospel. The construction was finished in 1517 during the reign of Carlos V, who moved the mortal remains of his parents there, Juana la Loca and Felipe el Hermoso.
The chapel is a prime example of late Gothic style in the Renaissance period with only one exterior façade, as the other three sides are joined to the Cathedral, La Lonja or Market, and the tabernacle. The beautiful Plateresque façade is by Juan García de Prada. Inside, the main Gothic altarpiece, dated from 1522, and the royal burial tombs sculpted from Carrara marble, are particularly impressive.
- Phone: +34 958 229 239
- WebPage: www.capillarealgranada.com
PICTURES AND TEXTS DONATED BY “PATRONATO PROVINCIAL DE TURISMO DE GRANADA”.